Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Seek More of God for Himself alone

I struggled with many questions during the last weeks and it almost drove me crazy. Yesterday evening when we met with our "Tuesday-Night-Bible-Team" I kinda freaked out when we came to discuss that God only listens to serious prayer and I said, how much more "serious" do I have to be I already feel like it's killing me! - and then I read this today:
Or despiseth thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth the to repentance? Romans 2:4
Why should a man write and distribute a tract instructing us on "How to Pray So God Will Send You the Money You Need"?
Any of us who have experienced a life and ministry of faith can tell how the Lord met our needs. Surely we believe that God can send money to His believing children - but it becomes a pretty cheap thing to get excited about the money and fail to give the glory to Him who is the Giver!
So, many are busy "using" God. Use God to get a job! Use God to give us safety! Use God to give us peace of mind! Use God to obtain success in business! Use God to provide heaven at last!
Brethren, we ought to learn - and learn it very soon - that it is much better to have God first and have God Himself even if we have only a thin dime than to have all the riches and all the influence in the world and not have God with it!
Jon Wesley believed that men ought to seek God alone because He is love. I think in our day we are in need of such an admonition as:"Seek more of God, and seek Him for Himself alone!"
If we become serious-minded about this, we would soon discover that all of the gifts of God come along with the knowledge and the presence of God Himself.

from "Renewed Day By Day" by A. W. Tozer
 ----
Lord, thank you for putting me back on track. Show me how to really find EVERYTHING only in YOU.

No comments: