Saturday, July 16, 2011

teeth

As my friends know, I've got that bone problem nobody knows what it is (and many doctors tried to find an explanation for it for 31 years already, but that's another story).
The German Wikipedia tells me that teeth are not the same as bones but since I had to have my first filling shortly before I turned 4 years and later the dentist detected caries on an outgrowing back tooth that was still 90% covered by gums, I think there must be a connection between the existing disorder of bone metabolism and my teeth.

My teeth act funny anyway. The one that was initial for my actual problem started hurting AFTER the dentist found a spot of caries on it and had changed the filling. Not only this, after a while it started ulcerating as well. Only a bit but together with the pain it was really annoying. After I had changed the dentist, got a crown on that tooth and the same story of pain and suppurating started again I decided to say good bye to that rebel. I had a space for at least 2 years now because I couldn't decide for what to do next.
Behind the space I've got another crown so on this side a bridge would have made sense. But the tooth on the other side of the gap is one of the last teeth that has only a small filling, no inlay, no crown. For me, it's like a crime to destroy a nearly healthy tooth just to have a support for the bridge.
That's why I finally decided to have a dental implant.

Surgery was Thursday around 9 o'clock (if you are strong enough, peek at how it looked after the surgery) and I got a doctor's notice for that day and yesterday to stay home.  Right before I went to the check up yesterday afternoon the wound started leaking. But the dentist said that's normal. And it stopped when I got home.

Later in the evening, maybe 9 p.m. it started to bleed really bad and didn't stop during the night. I had to get up at least 4 times to spit all the blood out and I have no idea how much I swallowed because this morning I feel really sick. Let alone the nasty taste of blood... (I have no idea how some people can do this by choice).

My dear friend Kris recommended to try the salt water trick and so every time I got up last night I cleaned and washed my mouth with salty water. This morning, when I got up and not much had changed, I just took some salt water in my mouth and let it be there for a while (one or two minutes). I did this at least 4 times, basically to get rid of the awful taste. But surprisingly, every time I "changed" the salt water, the amount of blood that came out with it decreased! And now it really seems the bleeding has stopped!

I did some research now on the internet and all they say is after dental implant surgery you should not wash your mouth to avoid bleeding and when bleeding starts one should put some gauze on the spot and bite on it slightly.
Honestly? I prefer the salt water trick!! Thank you, Kris!

1 comment:

Kris said...

Wonderful news, Tina!!! My dentist told me not to rinse either, but I guess in some cases, old-fashioned wisdom overrules conventional medicine. So glad you are doing well now!